Skip to content

Spousal support, as it is now commonly called, used to be known as “alimony.” Spousal support is not mandatory in most states, but can be ordered by a judge under certain circumstances. If a spouse will face hardships without financial support, spousal support should be considered.

If both spouses are in agreement to stop divorce proceedings, the first step for canceling divorce is to contact your attorney(s). Depending upon the status of your petition to divorce, you may or may not be able to halt the process. You should be able to stop the divorce if judgement has not been granted yet.

Allowable deductions are the amount you have paid for something that is connected with your employment that enables you to earn an income.

The following are deductions typically allowed against gross income:

  • State and federal income taxes that accurately relate to the tax status of the parties
  • Contributions to Social Security (FICA)
  • Mandatory union dues
  • Health insurance premiums
  • Child or spousal support that was paid
  • Necessary job related expenses

The filing fee for a divorce petition or complaint is approximately $100-$350 in most counties. It generally costs an additional $100-$200 to file a response to the petition. These fees are collected by the government and are in addition to any service or legal fees.

It spells out the rights of both parties, and settles issues of child custody and spousal alimony. This contract is also known as a “property settlement agreement,” a “marital separation agreement,” or a Divorce Settlement Agreement.

A Supreme Court judge is the only person who can legally grant a divorce. You should go to the Supreme Court in the county where you or your spouse now live.

Back To Top